Jumping back after combat

Talk about, ask questions, or anything that is related to DreamPath Composer.

Jumping back after combat

Postby mat-in » Sat May 16, 2009 9:45 am

I did a combat system, with one page lesse (initiate combat) then in the example, since i set the variables on the page leading to combat. I use dynamic text and variables for monsters names, etc.

To jump back after combat, i would like to use a "resume story at page: +variable" but there is no such thing. I do not want to copy the whole 4 pages for each and every monster encountered, so i added "I just won against rats" and "i just won against a an ogre" path's to the combat system, one for each possible situation, the player hopefully honest enough not to click "the great end mob".

Is there a wayto jump to pages, set by a variable?
mat-in

Re: Jumping back after combat

Postby Stige » Sat May 16, 2009 11:09 am

There is no such feature on purpose. One of the principals I'm trying to bring to DreamPath is that the composer will help the writer making no mistakes. By allowing paths to take variables as destination, I'm welcoming tons of errors. Assuming a variable can be any number between -100000 to 100000 there might be no page with this number. I do understand the strength of this feature and a I'll might add in a future version if I'll find an elegant way to prevent most mistakes.

Fortunately there is a solution to your situation as long as you know the page number you need to return after the battle. You said you have a variable that represents the enemy you are fighting:
1. In the last page just make a RulePath for each enemy.
2. Make sure you check the 'Hide path if rule failed' for each path.
3. Each path should have a variable check, checking with the "Enemy Variable" if it is the enemy you are taking care of in this path.
4. The destination should not be "Previous page". Instead use the exact page you want to move to.

Hope this helps.
Stige
Site Admin

Postby mat-in » Sat May 16, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks a lot, this will work :)

Another thing: When I write pages that branch up into different story lines and they meet again later, it happens to me that i set a jumping point too early, are one or two pages short of finishing a branch and have to put those two pages behind the other pages, mixing it all up. A "page up" and "page down" feature would be great... or did i just miss how to do it?

Example:

1 - you visit a cave. Search it (2) or camp in it (3) or leave (5)?
2 - search the cave. you find... back to (1)
3 - camp inside the cave, you feel rested (4)
4 - its the next day, leave cave (5)
5 - next chapter
damn! i need a page on what to do after finding xyz on page 2!
6 - details of search on page 2 (1)
7 - outside cave

if it gets more complexe, they all get mixed up... it's not that much of a problem, since i can give the pages good, significant names, but still... confusing.
mat-in

Postby Stige » Sat May 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I find it quite annoying myself. I'll probably do something about it, can't promise it's for the next version.
Stige
Site Admin

Return to DreamPath Composer