Composer did not overwrite...

Talk about, ask questions, or anything that is related to DreamPath Composer.

Composer did not overwrite...

Postby mat-in » Sat May 16, 2009 9:29 am

I was working on my first book, it made it from 20 test-pages to over 60 pages, including a combat system yesterday night. I did save it several times (overwriting the old file) and exported it several times for a test run. Now I open the dpc and ... it's the old 20 page version! I could cry... is there a way to recover a dpc from a dps File? Even if the variables and Pages got strnage names it would save a whole night of writing...

Help!
mat-in

Re: Composer did not overwrite...

Postby Stige » Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 am

I've never done this before, but I don't mind giving it a try. Some data will be lost for sure, but most will be saved.
Please send me a email (idofle@gmail.com) containing both: the most recent *.dpc file and *.dps file and I'll try to do something.
Stige
Site Admin

Postby mat-in » Sat May 16, 2009 11:16 am

Tried to rename it... what so toaly didn't work:

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: s
at System.IO.StringReader..ctor(String s)
at DreamPath_ComposerObjects.Book.ComposerDeserialization(Book& NewBook, String Path)
at DreamPath_Composer.ComposerForm..ctor(String Path)
at DreamPath_Composer.Program.Main(String[] args)

No need to put too much work into it, I started to copy+paste text from the .dps and now. Writing the text was by far the most work... and now that I know how much pages I will need, I can give it a better structure...
mat-in

Postby Stige » Sat May 16, 2009 11:29 am

Naming it different won't work of course, I made sure of it :). I assumed most writers would be upset if people could salvage their books change and publish them.

Try storing from time to time a version of your book, it saves a lot of headache when the file system lets you down.
Stige
Site Admin

Postby mat-in » Sat May 16, 2009 11:31 am

i do make a copy before starting to work... but it did not overwrite the file i opened when i clicked to save it...

Autosave options every X minutes for morons like me?
mat-in

Return to DreamPath Composer