Vote for upcoming features

Suggest your own ideas & features or report bugs in DreamPath both Composer & Storyteller.

What would you like to see in DreamPath next version?

Static Information tab. (For showing money, health...)
22%
Rules for any action.
11%
More action (please explain what action)
11%
Items enhancements
11%
Image support
11%
Themes for Storyteller interface (controlled via the Composer)
No votes
String Variable
33%
Additional supported phrases in HTML exporting
No votes
Language Translation to the Composer (please state which)
No votes
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes : 9

Vote for upcoming features

Postby Stige » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:14 pm

I'd be happy to hear what you guys seek in DreamPath. You are also welcome to suggest your own ideas.
Stige
Site Admin

Re: Vote for upcoming features

Postby ZhopaNogi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:43 am

Hi again!

My english isn't so cool, but i'll try to explain, which important things miss in DP Composer. Maybe they will help to make this great soft a little better and... interactive. )

1. Each item has a menu, where we can select (optionally) "Use Item" link. But in this case we always (!) go to another location (chosen in composer). And what shall we do, if, for example, our hero found a key and have to use it to open a door. Create special rule path "Open a door" if key is in possesion - imho is little bit rude. I mean is it possible to use items only on some locations? Maybe, several locations (first he opens a door and later he throws the key in the dog).

2. Sometimes we need to speak to somebody in our quest. In this case we have just to add some text (after chosing right answers or questions in path-menu) to main text in the same location. Maybe even some pathes shall appear or not appear in the end of dialog. Such things can be useful not only for dialogs, but also for other tricks. Unfortunately, DP Composer hasn't such feature.

3. Maybe it will be cool to integrate some objects into location text. For example, "You see a book on the table". So, instead of automatically adding a book with an action, or writing special "Get a book" path, player have to click on this word in the text to pick it up. So to say, such items has item menu with description, where you can choose "take item" link. And some items aren't allowed to be taken. So, player can only read description for it. "Drop item" is also useful thing.

This all for today. )
I'lll write again if you don't mind.

Thanks for such a great program!

And what do you think about russian localization? I can help with great pleasure with it.
ZhopaNogi

Postby Stige » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:13 pm

ZhopaNogi wrote:Hi again!

My english isn't so cool, but i'll try to explain, which important things miss in DP Composer. Maybe they will help to make this great soft a little better and... interactive. )

1. Each item has a menu, where we can select (optionally) "Use Item" link. But in this case we always (!) go to another location (chosen in composer). And what shall we do, if, for example, our hero found a key and have to use it to open a door. Create special rule path "Open a door" if key is in possesion - imho is little bit rude. I mean is it possible to use items only on some locations? Maybe, several locations (first he opens a door and later he throws the key in the dog).

2. Sometimes we need to speak to somebody in our quest. In this case we have just to add some text (after chosing right answers or questions in path-menu) to main text in the same location. Maybe even some pathes shall appear or not appear in the end of dialog. Such things can be useful not only for dialogs, but also for other tricks. Unfortunately, DP Composer hasn't such feature.

3. Maybe it will be cool to integrate some objects into location text. For example, "You see a book on the table". So, instead of automatically adding a book with an action, or writing special "Get a book" path, player have to click on this word in the text to pick it up. So to say, such items has item menu with description, where you can choose "take item" link. And some items aren't allowed to be taken. So, player can only read description for it. "Drop item" is also useful thing.

This all for today. )
I'lll write again if you don't mind.

Thanks for such a great program!

And what do you think about russian localization? I can help with great pleasure with it.

Hey :)
I'll give my opinion on each suggestion:

1. I am fully aware that the "Item Usage" feature is very limited at the moment. It is something I'll might improve in the future or even in the next version using rules on "Page Visited/Currently In". It's worth mentioning that by clever use of 'RulePaths' and 'Dynamic Text Actions' it is possible to accommodate your needs.
* I created a demo for this. You can download it here. Note that if you have a version older than 1.2.1.5 a bug might occur while opening a path.

2. Some situations can be solved using Dynamic Text Actions, RulePath and page leading to the current page. In the next version actions will also have rules like in RulePath and it would be possible do what you asked for.

3. I'm not too sure about this. Maybe in the future, can't promise.

4. If you are willing to translate the program I'd be more than happy to integrate it to the next version. Be aware the job requires translation of few hundreds of words\sentences. If you are up for it, send me your email in private message and I'll contact yous shortly after the next release.

Feel free to share any idea you have.
Stige
Site Admin

Postby Pupskopf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Mmh, more important than imagesupport in my opinion would be mp3-support. Because in a Textadventure, the adventure takes part in the reader's fantasy. Every single reader will create his own images in his mind, according to the written text. But what most people can't imagine, is the music behind the fantasy, a sense supporing atmosphere stronger than every image could do.

So my favorite for the future of Dreampath: Musicsupport

Greetings
Nick
Pupskopf

Postby Pupskopf » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:40 pm

And perhaps a forum, where composers can upload their konverted rpg systems/chars or just talk about how to use such a system in Dreampath.
I spent a lot of time konverting the Dungeons & Dragons System to Dreampath so that all different attributes, talents, etc. can take effect, and also change the story, just by chosing a different hero.

Would be a great help for composers....
Pupskopf

Postby Stige » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:14 pm

Pupskopf wrote:Mmh, more important than imagesupport in my opinion would be mp3-support. Because in a Textadventure, the adventure takes part in the reader's fantasy. Every single reader will create his own images in his mind, according to the written text. But what most people can't imagine, is the music behind the fantasy, a sense supporing atmosphere stronger than every image could do.

So my favorite for the future of Dreampath: Musicsupport

Greetings
Nick

Took it to consideration. When Image support will become available so will sound support. Can't say when though.
About the forum with the charts, you can start by posting it in the DreamPath Composer board and I'll make it as a stick message.
Stige
Site Admin

Postby Magma » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 am

Have i told you how much i like dreampath? Its awesome :)

That said i got yet another suggestion.

A compare variables option. If A bigger than B go to page 1, if B bigger than A go to page 2.
I know i did alot of juggling to make it work... :P

1 - C=0
2 - C+A
3 - C-B
4 - if C bigger than 0 then go page 1 if not go page 2...
Repeat the 4 at each time you need

Well, it works :) but i guess there could be a easier way :))
Magma

Postby Stige » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Magma wrote:Have i told you how much i like dreampath? Its awesome :)

That said i got yet another suggestion.

A compare variables option. If A bigger than B go to page 1, if B bigger than A go to page 2.
I know i did alot of juggling to make it work... :P

1 - C=0
2 - C+A
3 - C-B
4 - if C bigger than 0 then go page 1 if not go page 2...
Repeat the 4 at each time you need

Well, it works :) but i guess there could be a easier way :))

It's actually quite possible.
In equations you can use variable marks (and also dice marks which are useful) as seen in this page.

I hope you didn't try to walk around too many times :).
Stige
Site Admin

Postby mat-in » Sat May 16, 2009 9:45 am

Static information would be nice, I use a line of text i copy to each page as a workaround, so it's not ultra urgent.

More actions would be nice, or actions combined with path. For example:

You want the reader to be able to use a spell from his items to get out of a dangerous situation. You have to make an "if item in posession" path to a page with the spell use on it, substracting a spell from the inventory. Then you have to go back to a specific page after use. So for each situation you do need an extra "cast in Room X" page.

Which brings me to the next Problem:

I introduced variables like "Enemy name" and used a dynamic text event to describe them in my combat system, since those have to be numeric. Then I ancountered a Problem that I did not find a Workaround for: Jumping back after combat. I would need a path action with a variable as page target number. See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14
mat-in

Return to Suggestions & Bugs